Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Newest Web Site: Tizags, a Social Bookmarking site

Social bookmarking is system where users store links to web pages that they find useful or interesting. These links are accessible to the public or a specific network, and other people with similar interests can view the links by category, tags, or even randomly. Popular Social bookmarking sites include reddit, Digg, Newsvine, and Del.icio.us.

I don't much use the others, but I visit reddit a few times a day to see what interesting sites other people are finding out. I like reddit, but there were two main things that bugged me:

1. Their search didn't work worth a crap

2. You couldn't tag your entries; you were forced to select from their very limited list of sub-reddits if you want to try to add any classification to you submission.

So, like most egotistical developers, I decided to build my own social bookmarking site that had the features I wanted, looked the way I wanted, and worked the way I wanted. The result is Tizags.

Tizags is pretty much like any other social bookmarking site, except, of course, that I built it.

Tizags in a nutshell:

  • Registered users can submit links to interesting pages or sites
  • Outbound links are direct, no 'nofollow'
  • Tag based classification
  • A WORKING search (hear that reddit fans?)
  • Positive or negative filter by tags or user
  • Super double secret probation algo that keeps new links on the front page long enough for them to be seen (unlike reddit and digg where down voters can keep your link from ever even showing up!)
  • Report feature for inappropriate links
  • Save Links
  • Add Friends
  • Easily filter out links, link tags, or links by users


I made the site live on Friday, 7 Sep. Go check it out, tell all your friends, your enemies, the world!

Tizags Social Bookmarking

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a programmer myself, and I just checked Tizags.
I liked it, but I guess there´s not much growth to it without RSS!
Maybe you should consider it?
Regards

Fernando